Down to Earth Construction Services have a professional team of licensed and certified technicians who are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Just call our Emergency Service Center day or night at 508-763-4431 and we will send someone out to take care of your emergency septic problems right away. We understand that septic problems crop up at any time so you need a septic company that can be available when you have a problem. Some septic issues can not wait and you need a septic professional who can provide a septic repair on short notice. We have septic repairs scheduled today for customers in Sharon, Mansfield, Middleboro, Taunton, Foxboro and Norton MA. If you require a septic repair or if you have any questions about your septic system or concerns that you wish to discuss please do contact us at our Norton office on 508-622-5759 or visit http://www.downtoearthconst.com
Down to Earth Construction Services hopes all of our customers, associates and friends had a wonderful Christmas Day and are enjoying the holiday season. We will be available 24 hours a day for emergency septic issues but our Norton office will be closed this week so our staff can enjoy the holidays with their families. If you have a septic emergency please do contact us on 508-763-4431 otherwise we will see you in the New Year!
Heavy rains can cause septic issues. Significant rainfall can quickly flood the ground around the leach field or drainfield leaving it saturated and making it impossible for water to flow out of your septic system. When the water has nowhere to go, it can eventually travels backward through the plumbing system and back into drains and toilets and into your home. When the drainfield becomes flooded, it can also lead to untreated sewage flowing into the groundwater and local streams. This can lead to environmental contamination.
There are things you can do to help minimize any damage to the way your septic system functions and keep everything functioning smoothly.
Before it starts to rain:
- Prevention is always the best bet. Make sure your septic system is properly maintained, and is regularly pumped. Septic problems can be worse if your tank needs to be pumped or the system has not been properly maintained.
- Keeping water away from the home and the drain field is key. Rain gutters are important. Make sure all gutters drain away from the drainfield area so as not to saturate the area, and make sure you clean the gutters in the fall and spring to help the water drain properly.
- Maintenance of your drain field is essential. Do not drive any heavy equipment or other vehicles that could compact the soil over the drainfield. This can compromise the soil absorption field’s ability to treat wastewater. Also, plant only grass above the drainfield or groundcover with shallow roots. Do not plant any trees or vegetation with deep roots which could harm the leach field.
During the rainstorm:
- If you begin to notice that your drainfield is flooded, be alert to drains that are not draining quickly, toilets that flush slower or make strange sounds, or water that is backing up into your basement. To take pressure off your system and allow it to recoup, use it less. If possible, reduce or eliminate water going down the drains until the drainfield dries out. Hold off on laundry until the water recedes. Try to cut back on showers, and dishwashing and flush the toilet only when necessary. It should only be a day or two until the rain stops and the sun dries up some of the excess water.
After the Storm
- If the water does not recede and you suspect that your septic system is still not working properly, it’s time to call in a professional. Septic Preservation is able to quickly come out and check your system and offer a solution. It may include pumping the system or repairs may be needed. Do not wait to have your system checked. This could greatly increase your chances of major septic repairs or septic system failure.
- Septic Preservation also has a great septic maintenance program. Take the worry out of your septic system and call Septic Preservation at 877-378-4279 and let them put you on their maintenance program. This can help you extend the life of your system. Visit www.septicpreservation.com for more information.
Septic system odors can have many causes. Some can be minor, others more serious. In cold weather, the causes can vary. Pinpointing the source of the smell is usually the first step. Downdrafts from the vent pipe on the roof may cause odor, but would vary with weather conditions and wind and subside as the day warms.
There could be a problem with a frozen drainfield, blocked tank inlet or outlet, or other blocked pipes. Backup may occur in the home if this is the case. Check the lowest drain in the system first. Call a professional right away if you suspect this is the problem.
Long, persistent odors and wet spots over the tank and drainfield could mean septic system failure. Check for effluent outside and wet spots where the grass may be particularly lush.
Does it smell right near the house? Broken pipes or leaky pipes could account for this. Effluent could be leaking out of the pipe and running along the pipe trench rather than through the pipe itself. Blocked pipes could also be the problem forcing the sewage back toward the home.
The best course of action is to call a professional right away. Septic Preservation Services have 24 hour emergency services as well as trained septic professionals to evaluate the problem and make any necessary repairs, which could save money down the road and prevent septic failure.
Call them at 877-378-4279 or visit www.septicpreservation.com
How can you protect your septic system during the winter months? Freezing can become an issue when the temperatures start to drop. The most vulnerable components are the pipes leading from the house into the septic tank. Leaky fixtures such as faucets and toilets can keep a steady drip through the pipes which could freeze, blocking the pipes. Other components which can potentially freeze are the tank, pipes leading to the drainfield and the drainfield itself.
Snow itself is a great insulator over your septic tank and leachfield. Make sure you do not drive over your tank and leachfield. Compacted snow can drive down the frost and increase your chances of freezing. Driving over your leachfield and septic system is never a good idea in any season. It can lead to damage to your system. Grass is always a good choice for over your septic system or mulch if grass is not available. It is a great insulator without deep roots to interfere with or damage your system.
Systems which are in use have a lesser possibility of freezing since liquid is always flowing through the system. Homes which are used seasonally or sporadically have a greater risk for freezing since the system is dormant much of the time.
Fixing leaky faucets and toilets before winter sets in can greatly lessen your chances of freezing occurring and also conserve water. This can save you from costly repairs down the road.
If you suspect you have a problem, call a professional right away. Septic Preservation Services has 24 emergency services for help with any septic emergency. They can evaluate your system and make repairs if needed. They also offer a great maintenance program to keep your septic system running smoothly year round. Call them with all your questions at 877-378-4279 or visit www.septicpreservation.com
Septic Preservation Services would like to thank all of our customers, vendors and friends for a very successful year. We have conducted more Septic Inspections, Septic Installations, Septic Remediations and Septic Repairs in Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Rhode Island than ever before and we are looking forward to expanding upon that success in 2017. Please call us at 877-378-4279 with all your questions or visit www.allclearseptic.com
Septic Preservation Services are conducting septic pump repairs today in Canton, MA. We are regularly called out for septic pump repairs that are necessary because homeowners are not aware of what can and is introduced to their septic system. If a child, for example, flushes clothing, then it can cause a malfunction with the septic pump requiring a repair. In some instances when our technician removes, for example, a broken toy or wipes from the system the homeowner is either unaware that it can’t be flushed or doesn’t know that it has been flushed. Always consider your septic system when you use your drains and if you are unsure please do contact our office for more information. While we can and do carryout septic repairs for our customers, we are also happy to provide education to avoid these repairs in the future. Please call us at 877-378-4279 or visit www.septicpreservation.com
Septic Preservation Services have Sand Filter Services scheduled for customers in Fairhaven, Acushnet, Lakeville and Berkley, MA today. We have experience doing services on these specific septic system filters so you can be confident that we will be professional, through, and fast, if you require your Sand Filter to be serviced. Please do contact our office to schedule your appointment or if you require any further information at 877-378-4279 or visit www.septicpreservation.com